SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Hello Kabayan:

Welcome to our very informative Forum Website.

Questions related to Korean labor laws and policies, comments and suggestions on issues concerning Filipino migrant workers, announcements, literary works, news and personal opinion are welcome here...

So what are you waiting for... Sign-up now!

Sincerely,

SULYAPINOY WebAdmin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Hello Kabayan:

Welcome to our very informative Forum Website.

Questions related to Korean labor laws and policies, comments and suggestions on issues concerning Filipino migrant workers, announcements, literary works, news and personal opinion are welcome here...

So what are you waiting for... Sign-up now!

Sincerely,

SULYAPINOY WebAdmin
SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coping with Culture Shock by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat

2 posters

Go down

Coping with Culture Shock by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat Empty Coping with Culture Shock by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat

Post by reeve Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:44 am

COPING WITH CULTURE SHOCK
By Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D.

Culture is derived from the Latin word “colere” which means to build on, to cultivate, or to foster. It a set of accepted behavior patterns, values, assumptions, shared common experiences that define a social structure, decision-making practices and communication styles of a given society. It influences the way people think, act, and communicate; their way of life.
Understanding one’s culture may not be as easy as it seem because what we normally see and experience is just the tip of the iceberg. We have never really gotten into understanding the bigger chunk of one’s culture, the very core, such as the values and traditions underlying a certain culture.
In my previous article entitled “Adapting to a New Culture,” I mentioned that “There is no good or bad culture. Other country’s culture is not superior over the other. We just have to understand and accept individual differences because we have our own unique history and civilization that affect the way we think, do and say things. Harmonious and peaceful relationship is a matter of respecting one’s individuality and uniqueness.” However, due to some factors, respecting one’s individuality and uniqueness may really be difficult and it may lead to a “culture shock.”
Culture shock is a unique problem encountered by people while they are adjusting to a new culture. It is a psychological situation where one no longer feels in control. It includes two kinds of problems: first, being confused, anxious and puzzled by the way others behave; and second, confusing, causing anxiety to, and puzzling others by behaving in one’s own way. In other words, it is an experience where you are stressed by your experiences with people and the environment in a new culture and at the same time stressing others as well because of your own behavior which is unique or new to them. It originates from the belief that everyone is the same.
Culture Shock is of different stages and maybe you can identify to which stage you are undergoing at this point in time.

Stages of Culture Shock

1.Incubation or Honeymoon Stage

This stage can be likened to the attitude of typical honeymooners who find excitement, euphoria, interest and idealism about a new culture. They are so fascinated by everything they see and experience, especially those that are totally different from theirs.
When I arrived in Korea, the mere sight of Incheon Airport elicited a big “Wow!!!” from me, tall, hi-tech buildings and billboards fascinated me and created positive expectations that caused me several sleepless nights. From the airport, we (Korea Foundation for Advanced Studies –KFAS Research Fellows) were brought to a Korean restaurant where I had my first taste of “samgeupsal” with the use of chopsticks. I envied my Mongolian, Vietnamese and Chinese counterparts because they were really enjoying the food and they were so adept in the use of chopsticks. The experience was strange at the same time fascinating, and exciting.

2.Frustration in Trying to Adapt

By this time, you are more exposed to the “reality.” The euphoria, excitement and fascination are slowly sucking your patience and idealism. This time, minor problems arise but the feeling of helplessness set in, so simple issues can become major issues affecting physical conditions, work and even relationships. One begins to feel the stress and pressure. One begins to be suspicious about others, worse is, he can become a paranoid suspecting that he is disliked and cheated by others. If not properly managed, this can lead to deep-seated depression, anger or hostility.

I used to take the subway going to the office. I saw a lot of Koreans running. They didn’t mind at all if they bump into someone, which I experienced a lot of times. They never said sorry. The first time it happened to me, I just ignored it. The second time, I was more upset. Some are so insensitive that instead of waiting for the subway passengers to go out first, they hurriedly go in which makes the movement of people in and out of the subway more problematic. Out of disgust and anger I shouted “can’t you not wait for your turn?” Those who heard me stared at me but I didn’t know whether they understood me or not. I didn’t mind them. All I knew at that time was I was upset.

3.The Turning Point

At this point, the person either successfully or unsuccessfully adapt to the culture. The success or failure of this stage depends on the ability of each person to cope with particular situations. The maturity of the person is very crucial here because his response to certain situations may bear positive or negative results. Unfortunately, those who have not been strong enough opt to go home, worse is, they suffer from severe psychological and emotional depression.

Some workers whom I have talked to who underwent this dilemma decided to go home after a few weeks or months of working here in Korea despite convincing them to stay a little longer and seize the opportunity of being here. They just give up and go back home. They give up the most wanted dreams they have imagined before coming to Korea.

For those who have come to terms with the culture, they become more understanding and appreciative of the differences and have discovered the reasons behind these differences. Learning about the culture has become more fun, interesting, and a challenging experience. They have equipped themselves with some strategies and problem-solving skills in case a frustrating experience might occur. The negative reactions towards the culture become lesser and lesser. Now, they are more confident about the positive results of cultural differences and learn from them.

4.Integration

For those who successfully pass the “turning point” stage they are now more stable in facing and adapting a new culture because it has so much to offer. Integration depends so much on one’s personality and character. Thus, the degree of integration may also differ from one person to the other. Others may be able to adapt easier and can develop a bicultural identity. The process of acculturation occurs and a substantial personal change may occur.

One thing that amazed me, and at the same time upset me in the subway is to see almost everyone reading a book, a newspaper or a magazine. In the beginning, this upset me because I felt they were so insensitive that even if it was too crowded they continue reading and they don’t mind disturbing others. Later on, I discovered that Education is one of their greatest values that moved them to a tremendous economic boom. Information is accessible to everyone, old and young alike. I began to appreciate it and little by little started adapting it. In fact, when I went back to my school to share my research results, it was one of the things I highlighted: to teach our young people to read because it is one value that students in our country don’t appreciate and enjoy doing at all.

Last edited by reeve on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
reeve
reeve
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 02/03/2008

Back to top Go down

Coping with Culture Shock by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat Empty COPING WITH CULTURE SHOCK ( Continuation...)

Post by reeve Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:06 am

5. Re-entry Stage

We should always remember the adage “there’s no place like home.” So, whether we like it or not, we still return to our own culture. This stage is usually experienced by people who have stayed, lived and adapted another culture for a long time. They experience difficulty in returning to their own culture because they have been used to living a foreign culture. Other culture gave them so much stability and comfort that their own culture becomes an alien to them. They experience the same difficulty adapting and integrating to their own culture.

Managing Culture Shock in Korea

Here are some tips on how one can manage culture shock in any place he goes particularly in Korea:

Read about Korea before you come…. Or even while you are here

Pre-departure preparation is a must. One should know some basic information about Korea. He can read some books, magazines or surf the net and have an idea about Korea’s language, food, etc. However, he should not stop acquiring more information about Korea once he is here, he should continue doing so to familiarize himself with the culture.

Meet other people of your nationality

Don’t isolate yourself from your friends especially those from your own country. As much as possible meet them during your free time and share your experiences with them, you might have something in common and you can help and support each other to overcome culture shock.

Re-create your own world

In your room, design a corner where you can put memorable things that can remind you of home and your loved ones such as photos, favorite clothes of your family members, letters from parents and relatives, etc. This can help you relieve stress, homesickness and depression.

Meet other Koreans

As much as possible, maximize your encounters with you co-workers, especially the Koreans. The more interactions you have with them, the more opportunities you will have to observe and learn from them. Many Koreans are more than willing to teach you their language and culture.

Learn the Korean Language

Though it is really difficult to learn Korean language, we must exert effort to learn even the basic expressions only so that we don’t feel totally alien whenever we hear them talking. They call it “Survival Korean!” We are not expected to perfect it but at least we can be understood and we understand them. They are so glad to see a foreigner who can speak their language. It can be the start of a closer relationship and a healthy opportunity for intercultural exchange.

Do not expect too much of yourself

We should know our own ability and capacity as far as adaptation to other culture is concerned. We should not expect too much of ourselves otherwise we become frustrated when we cannot meet our own expectations. Be realistic! Don’t be too hard on yourself because our brains can only absorb that much.

Consciously pursue special interests

Back in the Philippines, I am sure we have been involved in some social, religious, or even political activities. In Korea, we can continue pursuing and enhancing these interests. There are many civic organizations and Church-based groups where we can share our talents and time with. Our membership in these groups give us the opportunity to meet new friends and make wise use of our time while in Korea. We can also pursue our own hobbies or interests in writing, painting, sports and others.

One can cope with culture shock if he is aware of the different stages he is going through. He must be open to cultural differences and learn to understand the reason behind the differences. This attitude can help him adapt to a new culture and make his life stress-free. To manage culture shock in Korea, one should remember the following: read about Korea before you come…. or even while you are here, meet other people of your nationality, re-create your own world, meet other Koreans, learn the Korean language, do not expect too much of yourself, and consciously pursue special interests.

About the writer: Professor Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D.- Professor, Theology Department, college of the Holy spirit-Manila, 1987-1999, Professor, Religious Studies Department, De La Salle University-Manila, 1998
reeve
reeve
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 02/03/2008

Back to top Go down

Coping with Culture Shock by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat Empty Re: Coping with Culture Shock by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat

Post by amie sison Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:27 pm

maraming maraming salamat po sa article!
amie sison
amie sison
SULYAPINOY Literary Section Editor
SULYAPINOY Literary Section Editor

Number of posts : 2332
Registration date : 07/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Coping with Culture Shock by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat Empty Re: Coping with Culture Shock by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down