SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Hello Kabayan:

Welcome to our very informative Forum Website.

Questions related to Korean labor laws and policies, comments and suggestions on issues concerning Filipino migrant workers, announcements, literary works, news and personal opinion are welcome here...

So what are you waiting for... Sign-up now!

Sincerely,

SULYAPINOY WebAdmin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Hello Kabayan:

Welcome to our very informative Forum Website.

Questions related to Korean labor laws and policies, comments and suggestions on issues concerning Filipino migrant workers, announcements, literary works, news and personal opinion are welcome here...

So what are you waiting for... Sign-up now!

Sincerely,

SULYAPINOY WebAdmin
SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Managing Our Life as OFWs by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D.

+11
Cielo
goodheart
amie sison
angel
Elizer Penaranda
sk
sainofos
marzy
emelyabagat
dave
reeve
15 posters

Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty Managing Our Life as OFWs by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D.

Post by reeve Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:07 pm

Managing Our Life as OFWs
By Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D.

In this article, I would like to share with you my thoughts, readings, observations, and experiences on how to manage our life as OFWs. Most of these are inputs I have shared in my lectures with OFWs in some Filipino Communities in Korea during seminars and lectures I have conducted on “Personal Visioning.” I am an OFW myself, and I am a part of this migration phenomenon.

Migration has been a phenomenon which dates back to human existence. People migrate either domestically or internationally for several reasons. Economically, to find for a better living condition, for a greener pasture. Politically, to escape from unfavorable and repressing political conditions in one’s country of origin. Culturally, to search for one’s roots, for one’s family and one’s community.

In Korea, migration emerged basically due to economic reasons caused by the declining economic situation in our country. The economic boom in other countries such as Korea has attracted Filipinos who are unemployed or degree holders who are underemployed due to lack of employment opportunities in our country.

Since 1991 when the Korean government implemented the non-visa agreement with 41 countries including the Philippines, Filipinos started coming to Korea and many of them opted to stay without legal documents. Some of them, fortunately, have managed to stay without being legally reprimanded.

In August 2004, the Employment Permit System (EPS) was implemented giving foreign workers the opportunity to work legally for three (3) years. Foreign workers were given three (3) years to pursue the dreams and objectives they have set before leaving the country. In other words, the time frame is just three (3 ) years, no more no less.

Fortunately, the Korean government has been generous enough to introduce the rehiring of EPS workers for those deserving to be rehired by their employers. This is good news for some workers because they have more time to pursue their unaccomplished dreams and ambitions. The question is: how can they accomplish their dreams given another three (3) years in Korea?

According to the Korea Immigration Service Report, as of January 2008, there are 51,051 Filipinos in Korea; 36,522 are documented and 14,529 are undocumented. Everyday, hundreds of undocumented workers, including Filipinos, are being detained by the Korean Immigration Office.

The relevant and critical questions we should ask ourselves are: Are we ready to go back home? Are we financially ready and economically stable? If we still have the legal documents to work here in Korea, how can we realistically achieve the plans, dreams and goals we have set for our family and loved ones? What can we do so as not to consider overstaying as one of our options at the end of our contract? In other words, how can we manage our limited stay in Korea?

The Philippine government has been aggressively promoting its Reintegration Program through the leadership of Labor Secretary Arturo Brion. This program aims to prepare the OFWs toward reintegrating into the economic mainstream should they decide, or forced by circumstances, to go home for good. Furthermore, this program aims to combat the “rags-to-riches-to-rags phenomenon” happening among OFWs who have spent years abroad but going back home experiencing the same, if not worse, poor condition in the Philippines.

Manage your stay in a foreign country

In one occasion, I had a small talk with Amb. Luis Cruz, the Philippine Ambassador to Korea. The Ambassador shared with me his sentiments about one of the questions raised by one of the participants in a presentation about the Reintegration Program of the Philippine government in one Filipino community in Korea. The question was: “Paano kami makakabalik ng Korea?” This obviously shows that the objective of presenting the reintegration program to entice him to go back to the Philippines has not sunk into him.

VISION! The Book of Ecclesiastes says: “My people perish for lack of vision.” I think this is what most OFWs lack. People tend to be so shortsighted, thinking only about today, forgetting about tomorrow, next year, and the years to come. What do we want to become after three years of work abroad? How do we envision ourselves three years from now?

Planning is a very important skill that an OFW must possess because he has to plan given the time frame of just three (3) years, at least in the case of EPS workers. When an OFW leaves the airport in the Philippines, he brings with him new hopes and big dreams. Are these Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-bound? More often than not, they are general, immeasurable, unattainable, unrealistic, open-ended dreams and goals.

Planning means setting concrete goals and dreams that can be attained given the resources and income earned monthly, annually, and in the span of three years. It includes identifying strategies and steps on how to accomplish these goals otherwise they remain to be dreams - broken and shattered dreams.

Manage your personal growth

Managing one’s psycho-emotional state is primarily important. Upon entry into a foreign country, experiencing culture shock, loneliness, homesickness and the like are but natural reactions and feelings. These are uncontrollable too even during years of stay in a foreign country. These are the times when friends are most needed to support and help, times when a community can be of great help. However, care, discipline, moderation and sense of focus must be kept in mind because it might lead to a loss of balance forgetting the goals and dreams set before going to work in a foreign country.

In these times, spiritual nourishment is a must because faith in God, expressed through prayer, frequent reception of the Sacraments especially the Holy Eucharist and Reconciliation strengthens the weakening soul and enlightens moral judgment against what is right and wrong. It is a common knowledge that many marriages and families are broken, and dreams are shattered for failure to keep moral integrity and faith in God.

Skills enhancement is essentially a part of personal growth. Doing something in a foreign country which is totally alien from one’s educational background may be an opportunity to develop or enhance a new skill that can help him establish a business or find a new employment when he goes back to the Philippines. Some government (GOs) and non-government (NGOs) organizations offer skills training to equip OFWs with additional skills. The years spent by OFWs abroad do not make them any younger. This may be a limitation in getting employed when they decide to go back to the Philippines. Having additional skills may provide varied opportunities to have alternative careers and jobs.

Manage your income, manage your savings
I agree with what most people say that, “the more you earn, the more you spend; the bigger your income, the more needs you create.” For us OFWs who are earning that much, it’s easier to spend because we are earning more. Sometimes we justify by saying “we earn in Korean won and we spend in Korean won.” I often hear other people saying, “maluwag ang magbitaw ng pera sa Korea hindi katulad sa Pilipinas.” I perfectly agree with these statements. Many Filipinos get hooked on buying on sale products (even if these are not needed, but they create the need for it) saying these are cheap and since they are on sale it won’t stay that long so better buy these stuff now otherwise…… by the time they know it, they have become impulsive buyers. Worse is, they end up asking themselves, “Where did I spend all my money?

Why do I have only this much in my wallet?” Unknowingly and unconsciously, he has nothing left.
The greatest temptation I noticed among OFWs in Korea is the temptation of “technology.” We see a lot of new electrical gadgets around such as cameras, computers, TVs, MP3s, MP4s, PMPs, PSPs, etc. New models come out in the market very quickly. They change every now and then. There, we spend a huge portion of our money.

Budgeting is one skill that OFWs must learn. Setting aside some amount for the future is one thing we often forget. After receiving our salary, its either we send everything to our families in the Philippines, or spend it with friends, shopping, or buying anything. It is suggested that aside from the savings our family keeps in the Philippines, we also keep our own savings here to make sure that in case of emergency we have something to spend. I tell OFWs when I give lectures “I’m not teaching you how to keep secrets from your wife/husband. What I am telling you is save something for yourself in case there is an urgent need for cash while you are here.”

Please refer below for continuation...

Last edited by reeve on Sat May 10, 2008 1:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
reeve
reeve
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 02/03/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty Continuation... Managing our life...

Post by reeve Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:26 pm

Managing Our Life as OFWs
By Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat,Ph.D.

Manage your investments

One common mistake committed by OFWs is they invest their money in the wrong kind of business. This can be attributed to the OFWs lack of information and awareness of business and investment opportunities, as well as skills on financial management.

Many OFWs have been victims of a lot of scams like networking, fly-by-night educational plans and insurance companies, etc. They cannot be blamed if they have become skeptical about these forms of investments. A more critical and deeper study about these service companies should be made to make OFWs aware of the nature, stability and services that they offer before they plunge into investing their hard earned money into it.

Business experts say that investing on real estate, jewelries, stocks, mutual funds, etc are good investments because their values appreciate, they earn substantial interest and are more stable compared to other forms of investments. However, investing on cars, jeepneys, tricycles, etc are not as good as the ones above because their values depreciate, especially if they are not managed properly. As experienced by some people, the first 2 years, especially if the vehicle was a brand new one, would be favorable, income is regular and sufficient. But as its condition depreciates, maintenance and repairs become more problematic.

Undeniably, one of our dreams in working overseas is to be able to build a house we can call our own. Culturally, having a house that is comfortable and big may be a sign of security and progress as evident from the many Filipinos who have worked abroad. And since it also becomes a status symbol, we dream of constructing a big house, which may be too big for all the members of the family. We spend too much on something which does not generate any income. Instead of building a mansion, why not build a house just enough for the family and construct a few units/apartments, boarding houses or dormitories (depending on the location) which eventually can generate substantial income for the family?
Do not start a business or invest your money on something which you have no knowledge about. We usually ask our relatives in the Philippines “ano ba ang uso at magandang business diyan sa atin ngayon? Bibigyan o pahihiramin ko kayo ng puhunan.” This is very kind and generous of you. But the question is: do you or they have the knowledge and skill necessary to establish and sustain the business? How many computer shops and internet cafes established and financed by OFWs have failed? How many sari-sari stores and carinderias have died a natural death? How many OFWs have gone home only to find out that the income generating project they have established have gone bankrupt?

Technical know-how and expertise is a must in any kind of business an OFW is planning to engage into. Learn the basic skills necessary for one business to prosper. If you are dreaming of having a computer shop, you should know at least the basics of computer hardware repair and programming. If you want a sari-sari store, you should know at least the basics of bookkeeping, accounting, marketing, etc. If you want to put up a beauty parlor, you should know cosmetology, hair design, etc. Always bear in mind, you must not start a business which you have no knowledge about.
However, considering the continuous devaluation of peso and unstable economy of the Philippines, business opportunities also change radically and continuously. What is “in demand” or “booming” now may not be “in demand” or “booming” after a few months or years time. What may be economically promising in one place may not be marketable in other areas. Therefore, it needs a thorough study and excellent advice from financial experts to be able to help OFWs on this matter.

Manage and educate your family and loved ones

My eldest son is having his summer Basketball Clinic in their school and last night he asked for a new pair of shoes because the one I bought a few months ago was worn out already. My sister said he can still use it because it was fixed by my brother-in-law. As a mother, it breaks my heart every time I hear this situation because I want to give my children the best. On hindsight, I realized my sister was correct. So, I talked to my son and explained that he can still use his “repaired” pair of shoes and promised a new one will come on June, in time for the opening of classes. I just kept this pain in my heart because I know I am teaching my son a certain value.

One of our objectives in coming to Korea is to earn money for our loves ones, so we can send our children to the best schools and provide everything they need. In a joint research conducted by the Episcopal Commission for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People, Scalabrini Migration Center, and Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (2003), it was found out that most children of OFWs are studying in private schools , which, obviously, charge higher fees than public schools. Furthermore, the same research also showed that OFW children are more equipped with the necessary school facilities they need to learn better such as books and school supplies. They also have more access to information because a lot of them have computers, encyclopedias and other reference materials. Consequently, children of OFWs are regarded to be more academically performing compared to children of non-OFWs in the elementary level.

OFWs also aim to help their parents, brothers, sisters and other relatives by sending them some allowances, lending them money to start a business, hospitalization, etc. However, extra care must be done so as not to spoil them. They should be reminded to manage the money sent to them wisely. They have to realize that earning money in a foreign country is not that easy. Of course, giving them money or buying them something is the easiest way to compensate for one’s absence but sometimes it’s not doing them any good.
“Hindi ko sinasabi kung gaano kahirap ang trabaho ko dito at saka pag nagkakasakit ako kasi ayaw kong mag-alala sila.” I heard this from one OFW. Wow! How thoughtful of you to say that. It’s really admirable. But come to think of it. Is it not better to tell them the reality of your job so they realize that the money you are sending them is really hard-earned money? Update them about the standard of living, cost of rentals and utilities, and spending practices of the country you are working in, for them to realize that though you are earning that much, you are also spending that much.

In one of my flights to the Philippines, I happened to sit beside a kababayan who was going home for a vacation. When we were already settled in the airplane, I noticed him counting a bundle of dollars. He counted a few pieces and he placed them in his right pocket, then he counted some more putting them in his left pocket, then he kept the rest in an envelope and placed it in his bag. He noticed me smiling and without a word from me he defensively explained: “Yung nasa kanang bulsa ko ay para sa mga kamag-anak ko, yung nasa kaliwa ay para sa mga kaibigan ko, at yung nasa sobre naman ay para kay Misis. Kasi alangan naman na hihingi pa ako sa kanya pagdating dun ng para sa mga kamag-anak ko at para sa mga kaibigan ko, baka mag-away pa kami.” Still, without any word, I just responded with a smile.

My initial reaction was: “He’s right! He has a point!” However, as we were in the flight I began asking myself; “What about his savings? Maybe his wife will take care of it, or maybe he has some savings or investments already in the Philippines?” The bottom line is, we must not spend everything we have when we go on a vacation because we need to save for the future. Family members, relatives and neighbors may expect something from us but sometimes we have to break that expectation for a better, higher value.

References:
Asia Pacific Migration Research Network (APMRN), Migration Issues in the Asia Pacific., (http://www.unesco.org/most/apmrnw12.htm)
CBCP/Apostleship of the Sea-Manila, Scalabrini Migration Center, OWWA., Hearts Apart: Migration in the Eyes of Filipino Children, June 2004.
Docoy, Eugene A., SVD., Breaking Bread Together, Sharing Lives with Migrant Workers in Korea, Logos Publications, 2000.
Korea Immigration Service Report, January 2008.
How to Succeed as an OFW, http://www.ofw-connect.com/myarticle/OFW_success.htm.

About the writer: Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. is currently an Editor of SAMBAYANAN newsletter -A Publication of and for the Filipino Catholic Migrants in Seoul Archdiocese, Editorial Consultant of SULYAPINOY newsletter and FEWA adviser.

Last edited by reeve on Sat May 10, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
reeve
reeve
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty Re: Managing Our Life as OFWs by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D.

Post by dave Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Thank you very much po Prof. Emely for sharing your thoughts and experiences on how to manage our life as OFWs. This article is indeed a very helpful for us...

To all SULYAPINOY members and visitors:

Please take time to read this article completely. Promise di masasayang ang oras nyo...

-misterdj-
dave
dave
FEWA - Administrative Adviser

Number of posts : 1567
Cellphone no. : 010-9294-4365
Registration date : 11/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty thanks!!!!

Post by emelyabagat Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:45 pm

thanks for taking time in reading my article. i know it is quite looooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg!!!!! but i really hope it will be of much help to all of you!!! happy reading everyone!!!! by the way, thanks reeve for posting it... more articles to come.....

prof ems

emelyabagat
Adviser
Adviser

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 08/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty YOUR WELCOME

Post by reeve Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:51 pm

Your welcome prof.Emely

We are so proud of you

Please don't hesitate to post your articles here.

We are expecting more from you

Thank you very much!!!

Fighting
!!
reeve
reeve
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty Tnx PO

Post by marzy Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Ma'am EMS,

Tengkyu very much po for the very interesting topic you've posted. Sana maraming makabasa nito and ma realize nila na ang pagtatrabaho dito sa Korea ay panandalian lamang. Lahat tayo ay uuwi din ng Pinas pagdating ng Araw...

SAVE more and SPEND less po...
marzy
marzy

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 08/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty Managing Our Life...

Post by sainofos Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:21 am

thank you very much Prof. Ems for this very helpful article for us ...MABUHAY PO KAYO

FIGHTING!!!
sainofos
sainofos
Masipag na Mamamayan
Masipag na Mamamayan

Number of posts : 47
Location : Mullae dong 3ga, Yeongdeungpo gu, Seoul, South Korea
Registration date : 21/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty Thanks Prof.ems

Post by sk Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 am

Maraming Salamat Po.

Last edited by sk on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

sk
SULYAPINOY Editorial Staff
SULYAPINOY Editorial Staff

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 14/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty Thanks Prof. ems

Post by Elizer Penaranda Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:08 am

A Piece of Advice for a Big Purpose...Full of Life!

We Salute You Prof. Ems for being an Epitome of our Great Heroes.
Elizer Penaranda
Elizer Penaranda
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 14/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty thanks from the bottom of my heart

Post by angel Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:50 pm

hi tita Ems I would like to thank you for this article...you've opened the mind and heart of many ofw's not only there in Korea but also from other parts of the world...keep up the good work...continue to help other people thru your writings....God bless....
angel
angel
Board Member
Board Member

Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 19/04/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty hi!

Post by amie sison Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:06 am

angel wrote:hi tita Ems I would like to thank you for this article...you've opened the mind and heart of many ofw's not only there in Korea but also from other parts of the world...keep up the good work...continue to help other people thru your writings....God bless....

she is one of the pillars of filipino community in korea.

thank you prof. emely..you're such a good person.
amie sison
amie sison
SULYAPINOY Literary Section Editor
SULYAPINOY Literary Section Editor

Number of posts : 2332
Registration date : 07/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Managing Our Life as OFWs  by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D. Empty Re: Managing Our Life as OFWs by Prof. Emely Dicolen-Abagat, Ph.D.

Post by goodheart Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:09 pm

thank you po:) Very Happy
goodheart
goodheart
Board Member
Board Member

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 11/06/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Cielo Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:35 pm

thank you ligaw
Cielo
Cielo
Seosaengnim
Seosaengnim

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 18/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by chayen Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:24 pm

maraming salamat po idol
sakit din mata ko sa kakabas,pero ang ganda hanga
chayen
chayen
Senador
Senador

Number of posts : 2595
Cellphone no. : 01068700669
Registration date : 04/06/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by radman Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 am

gud day po mam,napakahalaga at nkapgbibigay aral at inspirasyon bngay nyong topic mostly ngyon pnhon ng crisis we must value the importancy ng pinaghihirapan s ibng bansa ngyon ko rin lubos n naisip magtipid slamat po sa topic n eto naliwanagan ako ng husto , more power po.kamsahamnida
radman
radman
Mamamayan
Mamamayan

Number of posts : 4
Cellphone no. : 01030376874
Registration date : 14/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by rubiah Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:55 pm

thanks po Reeve for sharing this post. i'll also share this to my relatives who are working either abroad or working at Pinas

Godbless!!!
rubiah
rubiah
Baranggay Tanod
Baranggay Tanod

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 09/03/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by candy Thu May 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Managing Our Life as OFW By. Prof.Emely Dicolen Abagat
Thank you so much for sharing with us your thought regarding Managing Our Life as OFW.Actually,this article is very hard for us as OFW most especially if you are the breadwinner of your family and your parents are both died.We all know that, we are here because of our family and not for are ownsake.but,this article is truely inspiring.God Bless.... I love you
candy
candy
Seosaengnim
Seosaengnim

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 14/05/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down