SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Hello Kabayan:

Welcome to our very informative Forum Website.

Questions related to Korean labor laws and policies, comments and suggestions on issues concerning Filipino migrant workers, announcements, literary works, news and personal opinion are welcome here...

So what are you waiting for... Sign-up now!

Sincerely,

SULYAPINOY WebAdmin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Hello Kabayan:

Welcome to our very informative Forum Website.

Questions related to Korean labor laws and policies, comments and suggestions on issues concerning Filipino migrant workers, announcements, literary works, news and personal opinion are welcome here...

So what are you waiting for... Sign-up now!

Sincerely,

SULYAPINOY WebAdmin
SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transforming a Negative Experience to a Positive one

3 posters

Go down

Transforming a Negative Experience to a Positive one Empty Transforming a Negative Experience to a Positive one

Post by annesolano Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:39 pm

I remember the famous episode in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, the one in which Tom turned the whitewashing of his Aunt Polly’s fence into an exercise in manipulating his friends. As I recall, Tom applied the paint with gusto, pretending to enjoy the job. “Do you call this work?” Tom told his friends. “Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence everyday?” Armed with this new information, his friends discovered the joys of white washing a fence. Before long, Tom’s friend were not only paying him for the privilege, but deriving real pleasure from the task – a win-win outcome if there ever was one. From my perspective, Tom transformed his negative experience to a positive one. So, I thought I could give it a try.

My honeymoon with teaching has finally come to an end. I have been teaching English to Korean students for couple of years now. Each lesson I teach, I make it a point that I would put my heart into it. Every lecture that I would deliver is carefully thought of and that every possible question that my students might ask me is carefully plot down. After a deep slumber, I rouse up one morning and realized that my heart is no longer in teaching. Each day I walk to work like a zombie. The feeling of “uncertainty” spoils every single circumstance that I deal with each day. Few years back, I told my students that I would grow old teaching and might even die while teaching. Suddenly like a thief, my passion and my directions were snatched away from me.

Korea and teaching itself deprive me of several things. One of which is my country _ my comfort zone _ my home. From being discriminated or stereotyped by some racist people around me to not being able to wear my comfortable sneakers and sleepers I used to wear back in the Philippines. I wander around with the absence of belongingness. I feel that I am the odd one out. Coming from a third world country, having a brown skin and being a non-native speaker _ teaching for me in Korea is demoralizing. Loaded with this heavy burden, I felt tired, I get exhausted.

Much Like Tom Sawyer, then, I tried to take an ambiguous experience and arbitrarily make my demoralizing teaching experience to a pleasurable one. Descartes said, Cogito ergo sum – “I think, therefore I am.” Now, from a light slumber, I rouse up and said – “I love teaching.” I think I love teaching, therefore, I love teaching. I realized that not everyone gets a chance to teach English in Korea, not everyone earns five times higher or even more than they used to earn back in the Philippines. I take pride of the fact that Filipino teachers are far better than most of native speakers in educating Korean learners. I remember one co-teacher who happen to be a native speaker, interrupted my class and asked me to explain to him the meaning and function of the word “gerund.” I keenly explained it to him. I realized that it’s not the skin color, mother tongue nor races that count, but the execution, passion and the quality of education that a teacher can impart to students. Armed with these facts, I flipped my teaching style upside down, from a traditional and boring execution of lessons to the exciting and interesting one. With the help of my reliable laptop, my lessons are now more interactive, fun-filled and well-thought of. I made short films related to my lessons, something that my boss and students truly enjoyed. I coached speech and drama which enable my students to master the English language in a practical way. I earn, I got to practice my expertise in communication and regained my self-confidence. It was a win-win outcome, so to speak.

Just like Tom, I did not dwell on the negative perspective of teaching in a foreign country, but rather, transformed it to a pleasurable experience.

Last edited by annesolano on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
annesolano
annesolano
Masipag na Mamamayan
Masipag na Mamamayan

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 26/05/2009

Back to top Go down

Transforming a Negative Experience to a Positive one Empty Re: Transforming a Negative Experience to a Positive one

Post by Noypi101 Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Palagay ko naman very clever yun transformation mo ng "can't go to work syndrome" to "i love teaching syndrome" hehhe..nakaka-relate ako sayo,kc nung bago ko d2 sa work ako lang pinoy tapos yun n nga d mo masuot yun mga damit at sapatos na komportable pra sayo. D2 p nman s work ko lahat naka-kurbata pati nga yun guard at driver heheh,pano k nman d mapipilitan magsuot non..At eto pa mlupit yun work ko iba s profession ko, eh since wla nman ako experience pinatulan ko na..gya mo dn ako every morning pra n lng pumapasok ako s work dhil klngan, hindi dahil gusto ko or excited ako pro after a year naging ok n dn,matigas n ulo ko ngayon nagssneaker n ko d n dn ako nag kukurbata sandata ko plagi ko iniisipna swerte p dn ako at meron p nman ibang job opportunities dyan n mag-eenjoy tlga ko tapusin ko lng to..

So, ibig sabihin hindi natin talaga masabi kung negative experience ba yun or negative lang sya ntin nakita dahil nga sa laki nung mga sacrifices natin para lng makapagwork d2 pro overcoming those challenges still win-win outcome p dn kya sulong laban wag uurong kabayan..the important thing is we learned.

quotes of the day: "it’s not the skin color, mother tongue nor races that counts" -annesolano-
Noypi101
Noypi101
Kagalang-galang na Mamamayan

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 06/10/2009

Back to top Go down

Transforming a Negative Experience to a Positive one Empty Re: Transforming a Negative Experience to a Positive one

Post by annesolano Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:31 am

well yes.. as far as teaching in Korea is concerned..

" not the skin color, mother tongue nor race that count, but the execution, passion and the quality of education that a teacher can impart to students"

kasi maraming native speakers na mas preferred by koreans students dahil sa kulay nila at sa race nila..

Last edited by annesolano on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
annesolano
annesolano
Masipag na Mamamayan
Masipag na Mamamayan

Back to top Go down

Post by Noypi101 Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:23 am

yeah right.. nxt wk end suot mo sneakers mo, gawin mo yun mga d mo mgwa pag may work hehhe i'm sure you'll feel much better.

how about Huckleberry Finn? Very Happy
Noypi101
Noypi101

Back to top Go down

Post by annesolano Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:29 pm

kuya, I prefer wearing slippers pag weekend....

and Huck? oh well.. he is Tom's brother from another mother.. Very Happy
legal wife yung mom ni Tom kaya mas decent ang shelter niya.. si Huck palaboy.. kasi anak siya sa labas ng dad nila ni Tom.. corny..

Cheers!!!
annesolano
annesolano
Masipag na Mamamayan
Masipag na Mamamayan

Back to top Go down

Post by Noypi101 Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:46 pm

ah ok..pero ngayon medyo malamig na kaya malamang mag sneakers ka na heheh.

kala ko naman mag bestfriend lang sila, magkapatid pla sila sa ama tagal na kc hindi ko na matandaan..at tama, corny nga hehe

tagay
Noypi101
Noypi101

Back to top Go down

Post by mykeemchee Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:15 am

biLib aq ky ate or kptid anne

gLing gLing mu otor!!
Transforming a Negative Experience to a Positive one 188659
mykeemchee
mykeemchee
Primero Baranggay Councilor
Primero Baranggay Councilor

Number of posts : 380
Cellphone no. : +85283552829
Registration date : 06/09/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down