SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Hello Kabayan:

Welcome to our very informative Forum Website.

Questions related to Korean labor laws and policies, comments and suggestions on issues concerning Filipino migrant workers, announcements, literary works, news and personal opinion are welcome here...

So what are you waiting for... Sign-up now!

Sincerely,

SULYAPINOY WebAdmin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Hello Kabayan:

Welcome to our very informative Forum Website.

Questions related to Korean labor laws and policies, comments and suggestions on issues concerning Filipino migrant workers, announcements, literary works, news and personal opinion are welcome here...

So what are you waiting for... Sign-up now!

Sincerely,

SULYAPINOY WebAdmin
SULYAPINOY Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gender Equality by Sister Catherine Edith Cruz,OP

5 posters

Go down

Gender Equality by Sister Catherine Edith Cruz,OP Empty Gender Equality by Sister Catherine Edith Cruz,OP

Post by reeve Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:24 pm

Gender Equality
By Sr. Catherine Edith Cruz, OP

It has been 21 days since I arrived in Korea. This would also mean that I have been eating kimchi and bearing the cold weather (You have to understand that I came from a tropical country.) for 21 days. So far I am enjoying both. But there is one thing that amazes me and never stops surprising me. It is my daily ride in the subway. I like observing people: the way they dress, facial reactions, posture and many more. And because of this, taking the subway is very interesting and entertaining experience.

Take for example the career men and women we usually see in the subway. They are very formal in their fashion choices, wear leather shoes and bags, and oftentimes busy talking through their cellular phones. Going back home, (after work hours), they can be seen with handheld TV oftentimes watching the news (I know because I often peep into it). On the physical aspect, their skin textures are well maintained: fine lines, porcelain-like surface and well contoured nose (natural or done? Just make a guess). Now, take note. When I say they, I mean both men and women. Both men and women are fashion and appearance conscious. Salon and facial centers are no longer the exclusive world of women. And here in Korea, men are also into cosmetic surgery to enhance their appearances. Again, when I say they, I mean both men and women are into building their careers. Little by little women are invading the corporate world once dominated by men. The world of women is no longer confined at home. It has expanded to the universities and companies all over Korea. Even high-tech gadgets are enjoyed and accessible to both men and women. (All these are observable once you take the subway). My point is this: men and women in the subway are the epitome of equality in many aspects. In a culture where man is superior to women, it is surprising to see the rise of career women who can brush shoulders with men and earn income equal or even more to that of men as well. Both genders are crisscrossing the once “exclusive world”. What does this mean? This only proves that man and woman are created by God with equal giftedness and talent. If men can, so too for women, esp. if given the equal opportunity to prove themselves. (Hurray for all women!).

I remember home. In a typical Filipino home, though the men are considered the head of the family, it is the women who hold the purse. And this makes them powerful, I tell you. Even in today’s so called “modern homes”, wherein both couples are working, it is expected that men share household expenses and this must be handed to the women for disbursement. For the children, even if Dad says no, if Mom will say yes, there is a big possibility for Dad to change his mind. Why? Unconsciously maybe because men trust women's intuitions in making decisions.

This should not surprise us at all. When God saw Adam lonely in the midst of the paradise, He, said “I will make him a suitable partner. “ (Genesis 2:18 ). One who is “bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh” (Genesis 2:23). Men and women are meant to be partners and not master-slave. Partners have equal rights and responsibilities. More than this, since women are taken from men’s body, they are called to intimacy which requires respect, care and sensitivity. If my body aches, I rest, take medicines and even see the doctors. And so, men are called to be responsive to women’s needs and vice versa. None of us will ever neglect our own physical needs and so none of us should neglect one another’s needs. So, men out there, the women beside are co-equal. Treat them well. And for the women also, the men beside you are also partners with rights. Take care of them.

However, though both can be juxtaposed in terms of career, strength and aptitude, I still believe that there is one thing a man and a woman can not change role. It is a role totally reserved for each gender and that no amount of learning or talent can make them interchange role. And that is to be a mother and a father.

Motherhood is given by God to women. They are endowed with tenderness, intuitions, and sensitivity to answer the needs of the children. On the other hand, fatherhood is reserved to men. Their physically stamina is meant to be protector, provider and leader. It is this complementariness of men and women which makes family relationship work harmoniously. It is also true in any kind of relationship: employer-employee, teacher-student and even among friends or co-equal. Each is not totally independent from the other. One needs the other in many aspects of our human life. So, in this partnership and gender equality, there is also complementariness. Try to understand this story and judge for yourself where lies men and women’s equality and complementariness.

In a field in the Liangshan Mountain, two groups of young men from the Chinese Yizu nationality armed with spears, sticks and bows are on the verge of a violent fight. Suddenly, a middle-aged woman dressed in a skirt edged with lace comes between them. The sharp spears almost touch her body, but she remains calm and shakes her skirt as if she is signaling the men. The fighters are all astonished by the sudden scene. They stop forwarding and slowly lower their arms, watching the waving of the skirt. After a moment's silence, the heads of both sides order to withdraw.

Who is that woman? Is she a powerful authority from a village? No! She is only an ordinary woman. The fact is that one group of the young men are from her husband's village and the other from her own. According to the customs of Yizu in that area, if an armed fight ever happens between two villages, no man from either village dare go to the border by risking being kidnapped or killed. Women, however, are exceptional. As usual, they can work in fields along the border or visit relatives and friends in the opposite village without being endangered. If another war should happen, any woman from the related village mediates in it by standing between the fighting parties. Her action is usually respected. If either of the two sides ignores her advice, she will put off her skirt and stands naked before them until she commits suicide for the sake of honor. If such an event does happen, the side who sticks to the war will be condemned and more people will join the war. As large scale wars are discouraged, the brave woman's advice is often favored by the fighters. (Written by Martin Ye. www.about.com on Chinese Culture)

About the writer: Sr. Catherine Edith Cruz, OP is a missionary from the Philippines who came to Korea for a 3-month long mission exposure. She volunteered to help in the Philippine Migrant Center in Hyewha dong. She has a Bachelor Degree in Secondary Education major in English, minor in Drama from University of Santo Tomas and a masteral degree in Philosophy from De LaSalle University. She has been a teacher of Religious Education, English and Philosophy from various school, colleges and seminaries in the Philippines.
reeve
reeve
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 02/03/2008

Back to top Go down

Gender Equality by Sister Catherine Edith Cruz,OP Empty GENDER EQUALITY

Post by sainofos Thu May 01, 2008 11:34 pm

Thank you very much po Sr. Catherine Edith Cruz for this article.
sainofos
sainofos
Masipag na Mamamayan
Masipag na Mamamayan

Number of posts : 47
Location : Mullae dong 3ga, Yeongdeungpo gu, Seoul, South Korea
Registration date : 21/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Gender Equality by Sister Catherine Edith Cruz,OP Empty Re: Gender Equality by Sister Catherine Edith Cruz,OP

Post by amie sison Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:26 pm

oh! one of the best entry on literary page on sulyapinoy newsletter!
amie sison
amie sison
SULYAPINOY Literary Section Editor
SULYAPINOY Literary Section Editor

Number of posts : 2332
Registration date : 07/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Gender Equality by Sister Catherine Edith Cruz,OP Empty Re: Gender Equality by Sister Catherine Edith Cruz,OP

Post by Cielo Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:34 pm

idol idol idol hanga
Cielo
Cielo
Seosaengnim
Seosaengnim

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 18/02/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by chayen Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:40 pm

hanga hanga
ligaw ligaw
idol idol
chayen
chayen
Senador
Senador

Number of posts : 2595
Cellphone no. : 01068700669
Registration date : 04/06/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down